Thursday, April 23, 2015

MISSISSIPPI'S VERY INTERESTING FLAG

Just returned from a 4 day camping trip to Grand Isle's State Park.  Had to transport my first load of inventory for the garage sale next month.  Stored 10 boxes at my friend Pat's house and will be bringing 10 more boxes with me when I go next month.

After unloading the RV I checked in to the State Park in my usual spot #29.  The weather was great for the first 2 days but then the mosquitoes came out and were horrible.  They covered my legs and made our last 2 days miserable.

When we were near the beach the wind was strong enough to blow away the mosquitoes.  Xi Shi enjoys the wind in her face.

My doggies running free on the beach.  This is the first time I let Cha Bu run off leash and she returned to me when called.  I was so pleased with her.
My happy face in my happy place.

Tar ball on the beach.  This is the first time I see this many tar balls on the shore line.  Now 5 years later - after the oil spill - they are still showing up along the coast.

I collected these tar ball using plastic gloves.  I would really like to mail them to BP but will probably get arrested for sending toxic waste through the mail.  However, I will send the photos in an email to their website.

Fresh oil on the beach.

Took this photo as I was leaving the park.  The flag caught my attention so I stopped and snapped this photo.  The license plate is from Mississippi and the flag is the Mississippi state flag.  Notice the Confederate emblem in the corner.  We don't see much of this emblem in south Louisiana.

This flag was designed in 1894.  Many Mississippians opposed the 1894 design, claiming that it recalled black slavery and racist traditions; however, many supporters of the flag argued that it represented state pride and Southern heritage.  

In 2000, the state Supreme Court determined that the flag had been inadvertently omitted from a revision of the state’s statutes in 1906; therefore, the flag had ceased to be legal at that time. However, on May 6, 2000, the governor authorized use of the design as an interim flag, and a statewide referendum on April 17, 2001, approved the existing flag over a proposed alternative design that would have omitted the Confederate Battle Flag.




1 comment: