Sunday, October 19, 2014

IT'S BEEN 5 LONG MONTHS BUT SUMMER IS FINALLY OVER AND I'M OUT AND ABOUT

We finally got our first cool spell and I packed up the doggies and supplies and headed to the beach.  It was a long hot summer and I stayed indoors most of the time.  Completed a lot of artwork in that time so it was enjoyable.  However, now it's my favorite time of the year to go camping.  So here I am at the beach for a few days.

When I pulled into Pat's compound on Grand Isle I had trouble positioning my camper in my usual spot.  After several tries I decided to turn around and start over again.  I drove into his back field and started to make a wide turn when my wheels started to spin and sink into the wet ground.  There I was... stuck in the mud.  Pat came running and yelling for me not to spin my wheels any more and that he would try to pull me out with his 4 wheeler.





He connected a chain and then took a good look at how deep I was sunk in.  He decided that it would be best to jack up the tires and place some wood under for traction.  So for the next hour he tried but with no success.  I suggested he just try to pull me out with the 4 wheeler but he didn't think it would work.  Finally I convinced him to call a tow truck.   After giving it some thought he agreed to try pulling me out himself.  I put the shift in low gear and gave it some gas and he pulled me with the 4 wheeler and out I came from the rut.  I was so relieved.

Then we started to do the checkup on my air bags and they were completely deflated which is what I expected.  Put 50 pounds in each one and also filled my tires.  Taking care of my problems pretty much took up most of the afternoon.

That night he fried some fish and invited me and another couple over.  It was a delicious meal with home made pie for dessert.



The doggies were well behaved on this trip.  I even let Cha Bu off leash in Pat's yard and she went crazy.  I swear I could hear her say, "I'm free...I'm free" as she ran around the grounds.

Here she is ready to pounce when she sees the wild turkeys in the yard.


The next day I went to the beach next to the marina and picked up some drift wood to decorate and sell.


The doggies had a good time smelling around the rocks.


 Then went to the marina and bought a dozen live crabs and Pat boiled them for our lunch.


Pat loves to collect fun things for his deck and this is his latest.

Then we went for a ride in his 4 wheeler to look for some oyster shells for me to paint.  We found about 30 which will keep me busy for a while.

Notice that really large shell next to the regular ones.

The next day I just relaxed and enjoyed a gin and tonic with Pat in his outdoor kitchen under the oaks before packing up to go to the state park.

Thanks Pat, for all you do for me.

Couldn't get my usual spot #29 but was next to it.

I was a little late for this sunrise but it was still real early for me.  I like to sleep late.

I was pleased to see how clear the water was.  It's never this clear.

I set up my chair and was enjoying my Coastal Living Magazine when I noticed something moving in the water in front of me.

 WOW... that dolphin is swimming so close to shore in about knee deep water.  I jumped off of my chair and grabbed my phone to take some photos of it.  Ran into the water and tried to make loud splashing sounds with my feet as I approached the dolphin.  It was hard to keep up with it but I continued to follow along side as it swam along the water's edge.  Finally gave up my chase and returned to my magazine.


A few minutes later, there it was again swimming back the opposite direction.   Ran back into the water and got even closer this time and tried to keep up.  


Then suddenly it stopped right in front of me and changed direction.  Now it's coming straight at me.  I stopped splashing and stood still thinking whether or not I should run out of the water.  

It stopped for a while then turned and continued on it's journey.  I called out to it and splashed some more but it kept going further away from me.

I was so mad at myself for being afraid.  I wish I had gone towards it when it approached me, but that thing was huge and intimidating - and also beautiful and magnificent.

So for a little while, I swam with a dolphin.  What a treat.

Sitting at our favorite picnic table at the beach.

All in all, it was a good trip. 


4 comments:

  1. Yes it was a long hot summer with more humidity than I remember. Getting stuck was not a fun part of the trip but it worked out just fine. Oh how I miss the beach. Looks like good food and lots of fresh sea food at that.

    Can't wait to see what you do with your finds.

    How exciting to be that close to the Dolphin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi JO... Yes, swimming with the dolphin was so exciting. I hope to be able to do that again someday. Once I was on an air mattress floating close to shore and I heard a loud blow. Turned around and there was a dolphin 2 feet away from me. I think it was checking to see if I needed help. They are known to push humans to shore. I think it would have if I hadn't jumped off the float and frantically tried to get out of the water. At first I thought it was a shark. How silly... sharks don't blow. LOL! I tried to make a lot of splashing noises to see if it would respond to distress. I think that's why it turned and came toward me. So cool.

    Good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures of the doggies!!! good to se you out and about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Luci and Loree... I love taking photos of my little Tzus. They are so photogenic. Glad you stopped by.

    ReplyDelete